About Me

My photo
It's interesting to look at your life, past to present, and think: "It has all led up to this...." And then wonder where it will lead to next.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Halloween and Fair Trade Options

So what are we left with for Halloween now that we know most of the chocolate we know and love is fueled by child slave labor? I know it stinks. I hate this more than anyone I am sure. I kind of lived for cheap, easy chocolate. The kind that sits there in the check out aisle and calls to me sweetly... Lord it's hard to say no! That is, until I picture a child with a machete, far from home, lonely, and hungry. Or a village of people too poor to afford electricity, water, or enough food for their families. I don't know if you watched the documentary but actually the image that comes to my mind the most is when they give one of the boys and his friend each a kitkat bar and the look on their faces as they ate it. They had such a sweet and innocent delight in it. It made me feel guilty to witness such a vulnerable moment of strange irony. I can't really explain it.

Anyway, other options. Here are a few:
By the way, Nestle came out with a "fair trade" kitkat bar. Although apparently only 1% of their chocolate is fair trade, and I've read that they cut down on prices of the non fair trade farmers to make up for it. Not sure of the whole of it, but it's sketchy enough for me to not trust it.

Let me know what you find!

No comments: