About Me

My photo
It's interesting to look at your life, past to present, and think: "It has all led up to this...." And then wonder where it will lead to next.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Food is on my mind...

Here's the thing, I love food. I mean, I've been sitting here fantasizing about it enough to actually write a blog post on it. As much as I'd love to blame it on pregnancy, my obsession with food is no new thing. Although the degree of obsession may have upped a bit. Here's the other thing, I love food other people make. I'll cook, but it never tastes as good as when someone else does. I really wish I was a cooking fanatic, but it's just never been my thing. I can't watch cooking shows because instead of inspiring me to whip something up myself, they make me mad that I can't eat the food I'm seeing.

One of my most reoccurring cravings is Chinese food. But not just any P.F. Chang crap, I want authentic, made in actual China food. Especially noodles. In fact, sometimes the craving is so strong that I try to convince Aaron that going thousands of dollars into debt to visit China would be totally worth a bowl of soup noodles. He doesn't understand because he has never had them. In China, noodle shops sit on every corner (as I believe they will in heaven). They're like the Eastern McDonald's, but with real food. Noodle soup is a very common meal, I ate it almost everyday for seven years, sometimes twice a day. Wanna know how good it is? I never got sick of it! And I still crave it almost everyday since I last had it four years ago. You just can't find it here. The rice noodles are made from scratch every day, as is the broth they are served in. The meat was probably still a chicken, pig, or cow the day before and the veggies just as fresh. The toppings are what seal the deal. Fresh chives and garlic cut just so (it makes a difference, I swear), perfectly fried peanuts, variety of red pepper spices, chopped jalapeƱo. Dump it all on top, mix it around, and there you go! World's most appetizing lunch. If you really want to spoil yourself, purchase a donut stick to dip in the soup. No matter how hot and humid the day may be, you'll find yourself slurping up every last drop of it. I promise. Why not just make it myself, you ask? Well, I have tried many times and have yet to achieve that distinct authentic flavor of Southern China. Although, now that I'm thinking about it, the one ingredient I haven't tried yet is MSG... that would explain a lot, wouldn't it.

My most recent cravings have been seasonal desserts. This makes sense seeing as the holidays are basically here. But honestly, I've been craving them since August. Apple pie. Pumpkin pie. Eggnog. I just can't get them out of my head! Tonight I have resolved to bake an apple pie. Yes, I know Thanksgiving is next week. But have you met me? Have you met pregnant me? Exactly. I'm a little nervous as I have never made one before and I'm craving good apple pie, not mediocre apple pie, but I will do my best and hope that it doesn't disappoint.

If any one has any good Asian or baked goods recipes, please pass them along. I must learn to enjoy making the food I love, or I fear my stomach may up and decide to leave me.

3 comments:

Breka said...

Cooking is one of my all time favorite pastimes, and baking is what I do when I'm stressed. I'll have to send you some recipes...a lot of it I make up as I go, though, so this might be a challenge. Which reminds me, my friend taught me how to bake his great-grandmother's gingerbread a few nights ago. AMAZING. I need to ask him for the recipe...

Jordan S said...

Faith I love your musings! You are a great writer, mother, and woman; you make me so proud to be your brother.

Jordan S said...

Oh yeah...and I miss Guilin Mi Fen and Lao yo fen!